The Fire Tower is a symbol of the town of Sopron. It has Roman foundations, its cylindrical part is medieval, its balcony and clock tower are Renaissance, its dome is Baroque. Its Loyalty Gate frames the 2,000-year history of the town centre.
At the end of the 19th century the richest, wine-trading families in Sopron (Russ, Flandorffer, Lenck) started to build luxurious city villas in Sopron.
Central Mining Museum
The Central Mining Museum opened in October 1957 in the Esterházy Palace in the centre of Sopron. The house of medieval origin at the beginning of Templom Street was the residence of the town captains until 1631.
Fertőrákos Cave Theater and Quarry Thematic Park
The rock block of the Quarry in Fertőrákos, with its cave-like halls formed over the past nearly two thousand years is an exhibition site and event venue with a special atmosphere.
The Forest House Ecotourism Visitor Centre
The showroom, which condenses an unmistakable forest experience, and the game park, which presents the domestic wild species of hidden life, also serve the realization of educational goals in the nearly two-hectare area.
The visitor centre reflects thr motto of thr TAEG Zrt: "With education on the side of the nature"
The building of the Pharmacy House extends into the Main Square, which is why the City Council wanted to demolish it in order to increase the size of the square in the 16th century. However, King Louis II forbade the demolition of the house, with reference to the architectural unity of the Main Square. This decree of 1525 is the first Hungarian decision on monument protection; the original document is still preserved in the Sopron Archives.
The Forestry Museum is located a few steps away from Sopron's Main Square in Templom Street, next to the Central Mining Museum.
Forum Scarbantiae / The Forum of Scarbantia
Four and a half meters below the centre of Sopron lay the ruins of the Roman town Scarbantia. On the basement level of the Iron House on the corner of Új Street-Szent György Street, under the Tourinform office, visitors can see the southern part of the Scarbantia forum in the FORUM SCARBANTIAE exhibition opened in 1994.
Cobblestone Children's Museum (Eggenberg House)
The Eggenberg House, located at 12 Szent György Street, a building that has played a significant role in the town's church history, is now home to the Cobblestone Children's Museum.
The József Horváth of Sopron Collection (Caesar House)
The building on the corner of Hátsókapu Street was named after its last owner, the Caesar House, and its present character was shaped after the fire in Sopron in 1676. Nowadays, a memorial exhibition of the Munkácsy Prize-winning painter József Horváth of Sopron can be seen upstairs.
Sopron Lutheran Collections
The history of the Lutheran congregation in Sopron, which dates back more than 450 years, coincides with the appearance of Reformation in Hungary. This centuries-old story is conveyed to those interested by the permanent exhibition of the Lutheran Museum in Sopron, which reopened in 2015, on the ground floor of the church building behind the Lutheran church.
One of the most beautiful examples of the progressive, art-loving civic culture of the 19th century Sopron is the private collection of the Zettl-Langer family.
In the house with its special atmosphere in the Poncichter district housed a bakery as early as the in 16th century. Since 1975the exhibition of the Sopron Museum has been presenting the life of the bakers in Sopron.
Kőhalmy Tamás Hunting Museum
It is an admission-free museum in the Sopron Park Forest, which introduces visitors to the natural values and game management of the forest.
Medieval Old Synagogue
The Jews of Sopron settled in the former Zsidó utca (Jewish Street) that is now Új utca, and around 1300 the synagogue of the community, the Old Synagogue was established.
Medieval New Synagogue
In the centre of Sopron, at 11 Új utca, there is another synagogue as well, the Medieval New Synagogue, which is almost a century newer than the Old Synagogue.
Fertőhomoki Country House
The Country House presents the past and traditions of the culturally specific village of Fertőhomok, 15 km from Sopron.