The Fire Tower is a symbol of the town of Sopron. It has Roman foundations, its cylindrical part is medieval, its balcony and clock tower are Renaissance, its dome is Baroque. Its Loyalty Gate frames the 2,000-year history of the town centre.
Károly Lookout Tower
It is the centre and most visited place of the Park Forest in Sopron, and today it is the second symbol of the town of Sopron after the Fire Tower.
The Storno house
The baroque building in front of the Fire Tower took its current shape in the 18th century, when it was owned by the Festetics family. It was named after the Storno family of restorers and art collectors from Switzerland.
At the end of the 19th century the richest, wine-trading families in Sopron (Russ, Flandorffer, Lenck) started to build luxurious city villas in Sopron.
Esterházy Palace, Fertőd
The Esterházy Palace in Fertőd is the most beautiful baroque palace in Hungary; it is also referred to as ‘the Hungarian Versailles’.
Church of St. Michael
The oldest parish church of Sopron that stands on St. Michael's Hill was founded in the 13th century, before the Mongol invasion.
Benedictine (Goat) church and Chantry hall
In the heart of the town centre, on the Main Square you can find one of the most famous and oldest churches in the historic centre, the Goat Church.
Fertőrákos Cave Theater and Quarry Thematic Park
The rock block of the Quarry in Fertőrákos, with its cave-like halls formed over the past nearly two thousand years is an exhibition site and event venue with a special atmosphere.
Sopronbánfalva Pauline-Carmelite Monastery and Church of the Queen of Heaven
Through the Stairs of the Saints, a road leads to the Pauline-Carmelite Monastery and the Queen of Heaven Church in Sopronbánfalva.
Perhaps the most special attraction of Sopron is the Taród Castle, also called Fool's Castle and Owl Castle. For the most part, it is the 50-year work of one single man, István Taródi, who used 150-200 railway cars of stones and bricks in the course of the construction until his death in 2010.
Central Mining Museum
The Central Mining Museum opened in October 1957 in the Esterházy Palace in the centre of Sopron. The house of medieval origin at the beginning of Templom Street was the residence of the town captains until 1631.
Church of Saint Margaret of the Árpád dynasty (Juliáneum)
The chapel belonging to the parish of St. Margaret of Árpádháza in Lővérek, Sopron, and the parish priest's apartment were established in an Art Nouveau-style villa, which is an early work of architect Károly Schármár from Sopron.
The building of the Pharmacy House extends into the Main Square, which is why the City Council wanted to demolish it in order to increase the size of the square in the 16th century. However, King Louis II forbade the demolition of the house, with reference to the architectural unity of the Main Square. This decree of 1525 is the first Hungarian decision on monument protection; the original document is still preserved in the Sopron Archives.
The Forestry Museum is located a few steps away from Sopron's Main Square in Templom Street, next to the Central Mining Museum.
Forum Scarbantiae / The Forum of Scarbantia
Four and a half meters below the centre of Sopron lay the ruins of the Roman town Scarbantia. On the basement level of the Iron House on the corner of Új Street-Szent György Street, under the Tourinform office, visitors can see the southern part of the Scarbantia forum in the FORUM SCARBANTIAE exhibition opened in 1994.
Cobblestone Children's Museum (Eggenberg House)
The Eggenberg House, located at 12 Szent György Street, a building that has played a significant role in the town's church history, is now home to the Cobblestone Children's Museum.
The Dominican Church, the only two-tower church in Sopron is located in the town centre, on Széchenyi Square.
The József Horváth of Sopron Collection (Caesar House)
The building on the corner of Hátsókapu Street was named after its last owner, the Caesar House, and its present character was shaped after the fire in Sopron in 1676. Nowadays, a memorial exhibition of the Munkácsy Prize-winning painter József Horváth of Sopron can be seen upstairs.
Sopron Lutheran Collections
The history of the Lutheran congregation in Sopron, which dates back more than 450 years, coincides with the appearance of Reformation in Hungary. This centuries-old story is conveyed to those interested by the permanent exhibition of the Lutheran Museum in Sopron, which reopened in 2015, on the ground floor of the church building behind the Lutheran church.