The Storno house
The baroque building in front of the Fire Tower took its current shape in the 18th century, when it was owned by the Festetics family. It was named after the Storno family of restorers and art collectors from Switzerland.
One of the famous people who stayed here was King Matthias at the time of the siege of Vienna, and Ferenc Liszt enjoyed the hospitality of the house as well. In the 16th century, the Black Elephant Pharmacy operated in the building with its ceiling decorated with stars. Those interested can still see it in the Corvinus restaurant on the ground floor of the Storno House.
The Sopron Museum is currently open for visitors with two permanent exhibitions.
A story without limits: The permanent local history exhibition on the first floor of the corner house presents the history of the town of Sopron and the Sopron county in the 17th-20th centuries, showing the everyday life, the change of lifestyle and fashion. Visitors can take photos of themselves against a contemporary (19th century) background, they can see Ferenc Liszt's childhood piano, as well as the ballot boxes and papers used in the referendum on 14 December, 1921, and a related film footage.
Storno collection: The Storno Collection is located on the second floor of the building. The exhibition presents the collection of Ferenc Storno Sr. (a former chimney sweeper, who became a restorer) and his family in the rooms that the family used as their apartment from 1875 to 1984. The interior, furnished with antiques and works by family members, give a view about the fashionable historicist home and interior design of the late 19th century.
The namesake of the building, Ferenc Storno, found home on an adventurous journey in Sopron. He was born in nearby Kismarton (Eisenstadt, Austria), but spent his childhood in Bavaria. He returned to his hometown as a young man, but found no relatives there. He wanted to go to Buda through Bratislava and then to Bavaria. On his way, he asked a Croatian woman for directions near Kismarton. However, the woman mistakenly sent her to Sopron instead of Bratislava.