Statue of Sándor Petőfi
The statue of Sándor Petőfi, who served as a soldier in Sopron in 1839-40, was placed on the square named after him in 1974.
The statue created by István Lisztes originally stood on the southern side of the square, close to the Újhelyi House (14 Széchenyi Square), where Sándor Petőfi often stood guard in front of the post office in the bitter winter cold of 1839 and 1840. It was moved to its present location, in front of the entrance to the Petőfi Theatre during the construction work (2011) of the underground car park.
Sándor Petrovics (who took the name Petőfi in 1842) is associated with several memorials in Sopron.
In today's Rákóczi Ferenc II Street (then called Hosszúsor), bordering the Újhelyi House from the south, a memorial plaque marks the site of the student house where Petőfi often had a fine time with his friends and the students of the Lutheran Lyceum.
In Halász Street in the Poncichter-Gazda district stood the barracks where he served as a soldier. Today it is the site of the Petőfi Sándor Primary School.