St. Stephen church

The church was built during the Second World War on the slopes of Kuruc Hill, based on the plans of Nándor Körmendy and under the direction of architect Antal Rosenstingl from Sopron.

The tower together with the cross is 33 metres in height. The first service was held within bare walls on 25 December 1941.

On 8 September 1943, the church was ceremonially consecrated in honour of St Stephen, king of Hungary by Baron Dr. Vilmos Apor de Altorja, bishop of Győr.

The frescoes in the church were made continuously from 1945 to 1961, as the donations of the believers made it possible.

According to the original plan, a gallery of Hungarian saints was placed on the wall of the church. The image of the Black Madonna of Czestochowa was donated to the church by Polish prisoners of war. The Way of the Cross is the work of crafter Antal Borsa of Győr as well as the relief of St Anthony of Padua. The relief of St. Francis of Assisi and the wooden statue of Judas Simon are the work of Károly Stöckert, a sculptor from Sopron.

The two-manual electronic organ was designed by József Soproni (Schwarz), a teacher at the music academy. It was made in the Budapest organ factory in 1956, and renovated in 1999.