St. George Church
Built in the 1390s, the church is located in the heart of the town centre, in Szent György Street. It is barely noticeable, as it is hidden between the houses, and its church tower can only be seen from the Castle District.
The history of the church is related to a murder case. One of the perpetrators, János Schmuckenpfennig donated the plot on Szent György Street for the purpose of building a church as penitence after the assassination of János Büki, From 1555 the building was used by Lutherans, and from 1674 by Jesuits, who also built a college and a lyceum next to it. The church burnt down in the great fire of 1676, and the bells are also said to have melted in the heat.
In the decades that followed, several renovations took place, additional side altars were created, and the interior was designed in Baroque style. In 1761, the high altar, which can still be seen today, was completed at the expense of the mayor. In 1867 the onion domed tower of the church collapsed, so in 1882 a new one had to be built. The two world wars dealt severe blows to the building: two bells were requisitioned, the church was hit by a bomb, a part of the interior, the windows and the roof were destroyed. In 1947-48, Ernő Szakál carried out the internal restoration.
The St. George bell of the church, cast in 1839, is the oldest church bell in Sopron, the work of the famous Sopron bell-making family, Frigyes Seltenhofer and his sons.
The oldest functioning organ in Hungary is also here, its organ cabinet corresponds to its condition in 1753, its playing equipment, console, internal mechanism and sound corresponds to the instrument of 1633.