​St. Andrew's Church - Hidegség

The murals of the rotunda of St. Andrew's Church on the church hill above Hidegség from the middle of the 13th century are of particular and exceptional value regarding the 13th-century Hungarian painting.

The special feature of the parish church, which has been rebuilt several times over the centuries, is a Romanesque round church (rotunda). Viewed from the outside of the church, the rotunda remains hidden as it has a square floor plan from the outside. Its construction dates to the 12th century, but no later than the first half of the 13th century. The murals of the apse connected to the rotunda were painted around 1250. In the centre of the vault of the apse you can see the figure of Christ surrounded by symbolic representations of the four evangelists. In the middle lane of the apse wall, the 12 apostles are depicted, four of which were destroyed during later reconstructions. During the reconstructions in the 17th century, late Renaissance depictions of apostles were placed on the remaining half-dome of the rotunda. Today's Baroque tower was erected above the rotunda in the mid-18th century. In the 20th century, a new granary-like part was added to the church, the iron rooster above its entrance - according to tradition - is reminiscent of the times when the people of Hidegség were practicing the Lutheran faith from the late 16th to the mid-17th century.

The church can be visited with the guidance of József Völgyi. Phone number: +36 20 32 54 237

9491, Hidegség Szent András-templom
GPS: 47.625034 / 16.743517