Sopron Castle Hill
The hill fort and cemetery of the Sopron Castle Hill located on a 483 m high ridge and surrounded by a 2 km-long rampart is one of the most important archaeological sites of the Hallstatt culture from the Early Iron Age in Hungary.
During the decades of archaeological excavations started by Lajos Bella from Sopron in 1887, they discovered the history of the hill fort that was built 2700 years ago and was further expanded in the Celtic era, as well as the burial mounds (tumulus) of the early Iron Age barrow cemetery in front of the fort. The urns found here are also of outstanding archaeological significance in European terms. Mound grave nr 131 was reconstructed as an archaeological exhibition site by the TAEG Forestry with the professional assistance of the Institute of Archaeology of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, which was previously excavating here, and then the Scarbantia Archaeological Park Foundation. Since 2005 the Castle Hill has been the site of the traditional Celtic festival, and in 2018 the Archaeological Heritage Trail was opened.