Church of St. John the Baptist (Johannita Church)

The Order of Saint John settled in 1217 in Sopron, and their church dedicated to St. John the Baptist was probably built in the 1200s, after the Mongol invasion, in today's Bécsi Street.

After the members of the order left the town (1347), it stood neglected, but in the middle of the 15th century, it was renewed in Gothic style due to the donations of the citizens of the town. From 1636 it became the property of the Jesuits, who were invited to Sopron by György Draskovich, the Bishop of Győr. The bishop's embalmed mummy was buried in the tomb under the church. After the dissolution of the Jesuit order (1773), it was bought by Jakab Meskó in 1779, who donated it to the chapter.

Between 1886 and 1890 it was restored according to the plans of Ferenc Storno Jr. The winged altar depicting some of the scenes of the life of St. John the Baptist is the work of Ferenc Stornó. The building cannot be visited at the moment, but masses are held here twice a year to celebrate the birth and martyrdom of St. John the Baptist.

9400 Sopron, Bécsi u.7.
GPS: 47.689179 / 16.592054