Church of Jesus' Heart

The church on Táncsics Street was built by the nuns of the Congregation of the Daughters of the Divine Saviour, who arrived in Sopron from Vienna in May 1863.

The “greys,” as they were called by their dress, dealt with nursing and teaching. Their convent was established in 1886 in today's Táncsics Street, and their church was built in 1887 according to the plans of Nándor Handler from Sopron by the reconstruction of the chapel that had already been there. Kunó Klebersberg was accommodated in the convent several times as a Member of Parliament for Sopron, and later, as Minister of Education in 1927 he was the guest of honour at the inauguration of their new school building (today the Faculty of Education of the University of Sopron - Ferenczy János Street).