Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk

The Baroque chapel is located in Lővérek, at the intersection of Várisi Road and Villa Row, but originally stood in another part of the town.

The chapel stood in the Front Gate, near the Fire Tower, until the late 1800s. At the time of its construction in 1764, the people of Sopron had no idea what values the earth had under the southern row of houses of the Front Gate. They only realized it a century and a half later, when the foundations of the new Town Hall were laid. It was then that the most significant sculptural monuments of Roman Scarbantia, the torsos of Jupiter, Juno and Minerva came to surface.

Excavations began, and the southern row of houses in the Front Gate, including the Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk, also fell victim to the works. The town did not want to lose this magnificent little building, so its bricks and carvings were numbered, and the chapel was rebuilt in its original form in 1899 on the corner of the Villa Row. The idea came from the mayor, Endre Póda, who, in addition to the St. James’ chapel, also saved this chapel from demolition. The arched protruding façade of the chapel features the dates of both the construction and reconstruction in a Latin inscription.