The Sopron Petőfi Theatre
It is the most beautiful Art Nouveau building in Sopron, the scene of the Sopron theatre art for more than a century and a half.
The second stone theatre in Sopron was built in 1841 in Classicist style. Within its walls, several well-known artists were spreading their wings in the middle of 19th century. The young Károly Goldmark was the first violinist of the theatre’s orchestra, and Franz von Suppé worked here as a conductor at the beginning of his career. By the beginning of the 20th century, the theatre building was declared a fire hazard, and in 1909 its complete reconstruction began. It was renovated inside and out in Art Nouveau style according to the plans of László Medgyaszay, only the Doric columns and the balcony of the Classicist theatre building remained. A special feature of its new façade is an allegorical representation made with sgraffito decor technique.